Monday, February 11, 2013

Chocolate!!! I'm In!

This weekend I ran my first ever 15k (that's 9 miles y'all). It was the Seroogy's Chocolate Race..What's at the finish line well chocolate..I'm there!!!
I had high hopes that this race would be fun, and my time would be better since I wouldn't be stopping for stop lights or watching my ass slip around on the ice.
Well lets just say my time was better but not nearly what I had hoped it would be.
I wanted to finish in under 2 hours...yes I know that's not fast at all but let's be serious. I have still have 60lbs to lose till I'm at my happy place and it is a shit ton of work to move all this fluffiness!

So I had everything planned out. Two alarms set, what I was wearing. Nothing cute just my normal go-to's since this was really just a formality till my half marathon. Just a test to see what I need to add to my workout schedule to be awesome in May. (when I'll be doing my half marathon) ok so lots of layers since it was going to be a balmy 15 degrees out. Friday I really had no desire to eat anything. I still stuffed my face the best I could so I was fueled but my dinner left much to be desired which woke me up at 1:30am to a growling stomach that would not quit. So I got up which I normally don't do and ate some cereal because really I needed sleep and this growly pain was not going away.
Back to bed I went and I was out. Like sleeping beauty although I do not look as cute with drool coming out of my mouth.


I heard it...bzzzzzz...what the hell..Here is was 7am I had slept through two alarms and my ride aka Miss Hide-a-key was waiting in my driveway wondering why I wasn't out the door already..
OOOHHHHH SHITTT!!!! I jumped out of bed and texted her back to give me 10 min because I literally just got up. Now if you know my friend she is the worrier. She is the one that will not sleep on race night because she's worried that she won't wake up. She has to be to the start line 15 min before the actual race starts. Which doesn't work well for me since I have the bladder of a 2 year old and need to "try" to pee at least 5 min prior. No joke, well kind of a running joke. Anyways so she is freaking out and I on the other hand calmly get dressed and ready grab 3 packs of fruit snacks and my inhaler and out the door I go. My husband was very surprised how calm I was since I'm usually bitching about running late. But not today. Today was the day I was going to show this bitch running who was boss..Take no prisoners because I was in charge.

So we get to the place where we're going to run and we still have 30 min. Mind you it is a balamy 8 degrees out oh and to add more pain to this fun run it's sleeting...yeah just what I love to run in sleeting messy snow...GD it!! It's ok though because it will be fun and we're not serious uber-marathoners...people are in costumes for goodness sakes.

We warm up in one of the warming buildings. Then one last ditch effert to pee and we walk to to the start line. Heidi makes a bee line for the front while I take my time and turn on my apps and music.

And we're off....I keep thinking to myself..keep your pace...keep your pace. Because I hate running with others but it's imperative that I push towards a goal hence the races. So the first mile not so bad until we make it into the abby that is all up hill covered in snow oh and did I mention that this is also a 5k run at once. Which you know what that means. I not only have to dodge other runners but I also have to dodge the old ladies walking and kids and dogs and strollers...it makes me yearn for the bigger races that are more organized but it's ok I deal with it. Still running uphill because I am not going to stop. I finally stop at mile 4 to catch my breath. Still going uphill. Like the hills in this race are unending. I think the only time I went downhill was at the very end. Now when a race says it's a little hilly, I envision little hills not one big race of all uphill.. Mthr Efer...it's ok though because I got this! I can do it. It's what I did those 10 miles for. It's what I train for every week. This should be a cakewalk..at mile 5 I start to see these runners running toward me here comes the big loop. Well not just yet as these are the SUPER runners that are crazy fast. They run past me looking like santa claus because of the snow/sleet that has dretched us all in white. Eyelashes, hair everything. We look like the geratric group that works out at the gym.

I'm not feeling so bad but low and behold yet another hill. Ok enough with the dang hills already. I see my girl Heidi run up and give her a hug tell her she's doing great and I keep going.
Once I see mile 7 I grab a drink of water that turns out to be slushy and does not quench my thirst. Really...oh well chalk it up to freezing temps.
The last mile seems to take forever and low and behold what do I see but a group of walkers that propbably started at the begining and because I stick to the back are now going to finish with me. Like hell I say..I bust out every bit of strength I have left in me. I see Heidi waving for me up ahead and I run like a crazy person oh and crying like a girl at a chick flick because I'm so proud of myself............................I see the clock and I'm going to reach my goal of finishing this race in under 2 hrs..whooohooo....

What can I say about this race. It taught me that I can do anything I set my mind to, that running in the cold has made me a stronger runner, that fuel is super important to my times, that I am strong, that I am a runner, and that waking up at 1:30 in the morning to have that bowl of ceral probably saved me alittle. Because running 9 miles on a basically empty stomach sucks.

Be inspired peeps. If I can do this anyone can! I am not sleek and toned yet but I never give up. Last time I ran a half marathon I basically gave up all running after that. It broke me! I never wanted to run again and then the fever caught and I was hooked, and this time I might just stay around awhile because I can see the differences. I can see that training is helping and that eating "good" food makes me happier. I can see that running is my drug/therapy. I can see the good things that come from it! I may not be fast and I may not ever be fast but that's ok because at least I'm doing it! I'm proving that if you put your mind to something and want it bad enough it is possible.

Yes I'm a big dork but really what are you suppose to do when a camera guy randomly appears out of the woods..

Look at all that white hair...
 
 

1 comment:

  1. You are a badass runner. Those conditions are unbearable and you did it. So inspired.

    ReplyDelete

Show me a little love and leave me a comment!