Thursday, September 19, 2013

Becoming An Angel


 


Yesterday I broke down and went to the Dr to make sure my lungs and airways were in good working order. If you follow this blog you know I have a touch of asthma that flares up when I run and when I'm sick. It all went well lungs and airways sound clear so I was given a Z-pac and off on my merry way.

After work me and the running amigo had a training run scheduled; my prep; for the race on Sunday. Normally I rest the week before a race. But A-I wanted to try out my knee brace to see how it would feel while running, B-I wanted to check to make sure my lungs weren't killing me C-dang it I needed a confidence booster. So we decided to check out a group that I've been wanting to get involved with since May.

So let's digress a bit to bring you up to speed.
When I did the Cellcom Half Marathon in May I had stopped at the potties and while waiting (which was killing me...(seriously people pee and leave), anyway I spoke with a group of women that were running the race with a woman that was disabled. The group is called my Team Triumph. They the angels run the race while pushing a stroller, biking, etc with their captain (the disabled person).
I was so beyond moved that these people would do this, because isn't it all about races, about PR's, about doing your best. That's not to say that you wouldn't do your best pushing, pulling, or supporting your captain but you certainly couldn't do it without a ton of effort or that's what I thought. Something about how this woman spoke about the experience moved me. Here is a person that wants to compete in a sport and although they are physically-impared they are still competing. I'm not sure if it was hormones or what but I just started bawling...like a ugly Oprah cry bawling.  So that day when I got home I said I'm going to do that and I even made it facebook official. Hee hee

Last night we checked it out. We were greeted and given a shirt right away because we were told once you run you'll be hooked. They were so right. I've never felt like I belonged somewhere more.
The training group last night
Captain Jacob - Jeff (Jacobs dad), Me, Hide-a-key
Team Jacob-telling us we needed to run faster
 
We have signed up for our race and will be running the Africa Hope Run. It's a 10K and I'll find out who my Captain is soon. I'm sure this is only the beginning of being an angel. These captains have stolen my heart and I want to make it possible for them to do feel the way I do after a race.
If you want to find out more about my team triumph click here
They have chapters all over the country.
 
"Your life is your message to the world. Make sure it's inspiring."
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me a little love and leave me a comment!