Friday, April 11, 2014

19 Minutes....

Welcome back to reality is what I thought Wednesday morning. While on vacation I missed my mini's so much, what I didn't miss was the attitude and whining. Such is the life of a mom.

Things have been a little hectic coming back to reality but hey I'll take it. I have mini man's birthday party this weekend. I still can't believe he's going to be 3 next week. We had to do his birthday a week earlier since Easter is the same weekend as his birthday. If you've read this blog you know we host Thanksgiving and Easter so add a birthday party in there too and it would seriously drive me to crazy town.

Speaking of crazy town (do you like that little segway), I've been out of sorts the last couple days. I think it's partially due to not running. I give myself a little break after a big race. This race was awesome but like after my marathon I've felt nauseous, head achy, and fatigued. I wasn't sure on the cause and thought it was maybe due to dehydration...nope actually I've done such a great job drinking my water that I was actually over-hydrated. Who would have thought? Not me. So I've been taking it easy and now know that I need to up the salt intake a couple days prior to a bigger race. Check and check.

Now onto the good stuff: Wisconsin does Texas

The flight down there was ok. My first flight was a breeze, the second was filled with turbulence. I'm glad I was able to sleep a little on that one. Thank you so much anxiety that had be up all night prior to my departure.

Once I landed and after I found my way out of the airport I slowly ran to my host Miss Fe. Well not slow run like in the movies, although I did suggest it. We hugged and it was so great to finally meet my biggest supporter from Texas. Yes, it's weird to meet up with someone you've never actually met before, but over the past almost 2 years we've emailed and texted everyday. We shared our struggles, our accomplishments, our frustrations, the list goes on. Sometimes in life you're given a gift and you need to acknowledge that gift and not take it for granted. This girls is my gift. She's never given up on me and has always been there when I needed her. To meet her in real life was the best. 

Anyways, so after the grabbing the bags (baaagggs, as they say in TX) we headed out to pick up my race gear. This was suppose to be a trip that I supported her. She was going to run her first half marathon and I was so excited to be able to be there to support her, but sometimes things don't work out like their planned. She had hurt her foot and know was in an air cast. Insert sad face here, but that just means we need to meet up again so I can support her. After a quick shopping experience we were at her house and I met the family!
Everyone was super nice!!!

We just chilled out Wednesday after some Big Red Ritas at the local Mexican spot, and a quick trip to Home Depot. I would insert the picture of her hubby hugging a plastic owl but he may come up here and kill me. LOL 
Thursday she had to work in the am so I just chilled out and read. quiet time is not something I get very often. We headed to the local flea markets to check out the cool vintage stuff and some scary stuff as well. 
No lie that three amigo doll creeped me out.

Thursday night we bowled a bit and I kicked some butt, not by much but I still won! LOL And I got some much needed nachos. Oh lord I love vacations.
Be still my heart...cheeeseeee

Friday we kicked it. Fe had to work again and I took full advantage of just chilln.. 'Merica (Fe's Hubby) grilled up some delicious steak and veggies. Oh yumm....It's my must pre-race food.

Saturday we got up early. Yawwnnn for my half.
See even the sun wasn't up yet. My sweet friend Fe
after our pre-race shoulder massages

I really wasn't nervous at all for this race. I was just going to do what I do and do the best I could:)
Early into the race there was a girl that was stumbling all over the place like a new baby dear. She finally stopped and I asked if she needed help. She declined but promptly plopped on the ground. I called a medic because I was seriously worried about this girl. Once the "medic" arrived (I use this term loosely because there was literally no medical personal around) the girl deemed herself fine and stumbled away. I told the medic to call ahead because I was sure she would collapse along the way. At mile 5 I had to pee. Yikes. So I stopped at the port-a-potties and saw "deer stumbler" stumbling towards me. Her eyes were glassy and she had some #2 running down her leg. Ick. I again asked her if she was ok and she said "I just really have to go to the bathroom." I was like yeah...good luck girl and I was off.

I never saw her the rest of the race. As a runner I think it's important to not get caught up in the race and help your fellow runner out, but if they decline than you have to know you tried and move along.
The next couple miles breezed by. I was thinking to myself "this is the furthest I've ever ran without stopping to walk". My eyes started to well up with tears. I was so proud. I finally did stop and walk at mile 9. I was talking to a girl that was interveling her way through a marathon. She was the most positive person. She had hurt her IT band but wasn't giving up. I loved talking to her and then it was the split and we went our separate ways, but her words were racing through my head. "I'm thankful to be able to be running, even if it's for a mile. There are so many people that can't or won't take a chance." I'd like to think she finished her race strong! 

Anyways after that I noticed I got passed by the 2:30 pace setters. Darn it. Oh well, I was still going to finish this race strong. I saw the 2:45 pace crew coming and finished the race with them!

Do you love that "superstar" pose. Dork status approved!

My official time was 2:46:22. Bam bitches. That's 19 minutes better than my half a year ago!!! And I know I could have done better if I didn't stop and help a sister out, but it's ok! As I crossed the finish line into the arms of my dear friend I had tears in my eyes. Tears of joy because two years ago I decided that I needed to change something in my life. I needed something that would be my go-to. My go-to in helping lose weight, controlling my anxiety, and eventually helping someone else. Running has done that for me and it continues to help me. Running has connected me with the most awesome people and I hope that I can give back more than I've been given. 

Well I'm going to stop there with my shanegins. I'll be back with Part Dos on Monday:)


  1. Congrats on the half!! Sounds like your body is screaming for some rest, you're doing the right thing!

  2. Congratulations on your half... that is seriously awesome! And I'm glad you had a great time in Texas... blog friends, a weekend away, some good food and running sound just about like the perfect weekend!

    Hope the birthday party goes well this weekend... enjoy!

  3. Woo-Hoo!!! Girl, I am SO proud of you!!!!!!!!! 19 minutes off your time is FANTASTIC!! So glad you kids had a fabulous time! And yes, getting back to reality is NEVER easy. But I know you are handling it like a champ! Love ya!


Show me a little love and leave me a comment!