Thursday, August 8, 2013

Squat It Like It's Hot!

Two weekends ago I had a good ole 13.1 scheduled. I got up laced up the shoes and out the door I went.
I started my run at a normal pace knowing that my hip had been giving me a little bit of trouble and that a chiropractor appointment was in the books for Monday.
I set out with my ear buds in jamming to some new tunes. While running I was thinking about why I run and some blog ideas came to me. I'm excited to write them and that will be a future thing but as of now I wanted to share how I can run 13.1 miles and not be sore the next day.
It's called training. Not only do you have to log some miles but you also need to do strength training.
Now I'll be honest I did not strength train before my half in May, but with the shin splints and the hip pain and darn it I wanted to run and love it again, I knew I needed to do something.
So when Amber (Crafty Healthy Mom) and Holly (Where We Can All Live Like Jack & Sally) through down the gauntlet I was in. There's was more of a 30 DS but hey I'm lifting weights. And then the lovely Darcie (Strongly Feminae) through out another challenge of running 60 miles in 60 days. Hey I love a good challenge so I joined both.
I'm not saying it's the only reason I'm logging so many miles or squatting it like it's hot but it does light a fire under your tush to get those miles in and to work those muscles.

So I've been doing this routine.

ARMS - 15lb weights 2-3 times through twice a week
20-push ups
20-dips
12-Over head Press
12 - Bicep Curls
12-Hammer Curls
12-Dead Lifts
12-Bent Over Rows
12-Upright Rows
12 Chest Press
12-Chest Flys
12-Skull Crushers

Legs - 2-3 times through, twice a week
20 of each move
Squats (regular stance)
Front Lunges (20 each leg)
Plie' Squats
Back Lunges (20 each leg)
Side Lunges (20 each leg)
Squats (regular stance)
Curtsey Lunges (20 each leg)
Calf Raises
Donkey Kicks
Fire Hydrants
Hip Lifts

ABS -
40 sec Plank
30 Crunches
30 Bicycle
30 Toe Touches
30 Reverse Crunches
15 Side Plank
30 Crunches
15 Side Plank
30 Russian Twist
30 Crunches
30 Bicycles
40 Sec Plank

Let me tell you I was sore sore sore the first week of doing this routine, but things got better and I've noticed I can run longer and I'm not as sore when I'm done running.
It's been going so well that on Saturday when I ran I felt like I could just keep going. That my friends has not happened in a long long long time.

So if you want to run well, don't forget the damn strength training. It seriously works and that's coming from a girl that hates squats...so do it...Squat It Like It's HOT!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me a little love and leave me a comment!